Preventing Cavities – A Very Important Service of General Dentistry in Salem, OR
Many people count on coffee and a doughnut for a quick energy boost in the morning. It really seems unfair that the sugar and cream are feeding the growth of the bacteria that cause cavities. One of the most critical services provided by General Dentistry in Salem OR is teaching patients how to prevent cavities and other oral disease. Those who follow these tips will save both time and money.
How Cavities Form, Can Be Prevented and Even Reversed
Probably most adults (and many children) have had at least one cavity filled. While treating cavities is a much more comfortable treatment now than it once was, anyone would still rather have a clean checkup with no problems.
Hundreds of different types of bacteria live throughout our mouths. Some bacteria are necessary and helpful, but other types are not. Sugars and starches in foods are turned into acids by harmful bacteria, causing cavities by eating away at the enamel on the outer surface of the tooth.
- The bad guys:
- Dental plaque is sticky, colorless and contains bacteria. Foods and drinks that contain sugars and starch (soda, candy, milk, fruit juice, bread and others) feed the bacteria and help them spread. The tooth’s enamel is slowly destroyed.
- The good guys:
- Calcium, phosphate and other minerals found in saliva, aided by fluoride from toothpaste or drinking water help enamel to repair itself by replacing minerals in the teeth that have been destroyed by acid.
- Gain more minerals than are lost:
- It’s normal for teeth to lose and regain minerals, but reducing sugars and starches, eating a healthy diet, practicing good oral hygiene and using fluoride allows teeth to gain minerals and even reverse cavities.
Cavity Prevention Tips
- Fluoride prevents mineral loss and makes it more difficult for bacteria to produce acid.
- Eliminate snacks or replace with healthy substitutes.
- Save soda and sweets for special occasions.
- Brush twice a day and floss once to remove particles the toothbrush couldn’t reach.
- Discuss dental sealants for children with your dentist.
- Schedule regular checkups to catch any problems early.
At Riverfront Dental LLC, every member of the team is committed to providing the highest quality Family and General Dentistry in Salem OR. The focus is upon preventing oral disease and decay with dental exams, cleanings and education while treating any damage that exists. Browse Our Website to learn more and schedule an appointment.