The Basics of Dental Implants
Dental implants are one of the most common procedures done by cosmetic dentists in the country. They are used to help replace missing teeth and prevent further problems from developing as a result of the missing tooth- shifting of other teeth, further tooth loss, gum disease, and other common problems. If you have been wondering whether or not dental implants from Elk Grove Village dentists are right for you, read on to learn more about this procedure.
Dental Implant Facts
Here are some interesting facts about dental implants most people do not know:
* According to the American Dental Association, an estimated 70 percent of Americans between the ages of 35 and 45 have at least one missing tooth and a quarter of the population over the age of 75 has lost all of their teeth.
* Dental implants are the only current option for replacing missing teeth that provides the same feel, look, ad functionality of natural teeth.
* Contemporary dental implants have been used for decades and have been improved upon to make them safer, easier to implant, longer lasting, and more affordable.
* A metal rod, usually made of titanium, is anchored into the jaw bone and gum, then a replica of the tooth is attached to the rod so that all that can be seen above the gum line is the artificial tooth.
* Teeth restored with dental implants can’t get cavities but they can still become stained and chipped or worn down.
* Just because you have an artificial tooth doesn’t mean you can avoid dental care- the gums around the implant and al neighboring teeth must still be cared for so brushing and flossing are still a must.
* Dental implants actually help strengthen the jaw bone where all other methods of tooth replacement risks weakening the jaw bone- this is because the metal rod helps to stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
Dental Implants Today
For help determining if you are a good candidate for dental implants in Elk Grove Village, contact Brian Homann, DDS today! Follow us on twitter.